Thursday, January 10, 2013

It's late.  I need to be asleep.  But alas, I find myself awake once again.  This seems to be a problem for me for about two weeks now.  I'm kinda getting done with it but what can ya do?  I have taken sleep aid a few times and that just makes me feel terrible all the next day.  So I will write instead of just lay here.  I usually read but not tonight.  Besides,  I keep reading this amazing French cook book and it makes me hungry every time.   I wish we cooked like the French.  They amaze me with the things they do with ingredients.  They take a few basic things and turn them into wondrous  creations for the pallet and entire being.      

So speaking of food,  I will share this little yummy oven pancake I make.  A lot of my friends have been making them and they are calling them dutch babies.  I wasn't really connecting the dots in my head but then realized they are what I call pannekoeken.  I have made them for years but it had been a while.  We love them.  I have made them with pears and sausage on the side or just plain with maple syrup.  You can eat them any way you like.  We have even had them for dinner.  Super easy, and super yummy. 


Recipe:
1/4 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt 
You can use any flour you want.  (even almond flour)  
Just experiment.  Its fun. :) 

Place the butter in a cast iron pan or any other round deep baking dish.
Put in cold oven and turn on to 400'
While the butter melts (about 5 minutes)
mix up the other ingredients.  
Take out hot pan from the oven and spread butter around.  Then pour batter in.
The butter will ooze all over and up over the top of the batter.  
Put back in the over and cook for about 25 minutes.  It will be puffed up and golden and
you will want to devour it in all its buttery goodness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment