Monday, February 7, 2011

# 5-Red Velvet Cake

I don't know how the whole week went by and I didn't get a chance to blog about last weeks cake.  Oh I know,  Joy was sick all week, and life just felt insanely nutty.  Even as I type I am thinking I really could use a break from life right now.  And now my window to blog just closed.  Juby just woke up.  But I'm going to try anyway, even though she is now sitting on my lap and wanting to nurse.  Well there a was a short pause just now.  Not that you would know it. :)  But I had to nurse.  I'm thinking it's time to wean her.  She is becoming quite violent in her asking to nurse.  We had friends over the other night and we both had a good laugh as Jubilee about ripped my shirt off.  She will be 18 months next week and I don't know how that happened so fast.   Well enough about nursing babies.  But I'm sure most of you can relate and have all been there at one time or another.

My yummy cake last week was Red Velvet Cake.  A friend made one and I thought I should do the same.
I ended up making it quite late in the day again and frosted it at 9:00pm and found my self eating a piece at 9:30 at night.  I told the kids they could have it for breakfast.  They had already eaten a donut for dessert.  Yes, there is that good mothering once again.  The donuts were Mark's fault.  I actually think thats what started Joy's puking.  But I can't prove it.  I just really hope it was though because I do not want what she had.  Ok, back to the cake.  Sorry I'm so distracted.  The phone is ringing but I'm going to ignore it. 

I should also let you know that I have been exercising.  Yes it is true.  It's not been terribly strenuous but none the less it has been exercise.  Just walking for now but it sure feels good.  I can't say it's been all the cake baking or the good weather we are having.  But I'll take it any way it comes and say that my plan is working. 
Another side note is I have purchased four new cake pans.  Two round and two square.  After making last weeks cake in a rectangular pan and then cutting in half to stack it, I thought this is lame.  I must go and buy some cake pans.  So I did.  I also bought a cheap glass cake stand with the nice dome lid that goes over top.  I was getting tired of trying to wrap foil around my cakes without it sticking to all the frosting.  Terribly bothersome.  And I also don't want to have the same old cake stand in every picture for the rest of the year.  I may have to keep buying little cake stands or cute plates to show case my work. :)  Robin has an amazing cake stand collection.  I may have to come over and have another looksy.  Maybe she wouldn't notice if one or two went missing.  This would be totally by accident of course.     

So now on to the recipe.  I compared two recipes from different books I have and they were almost the same. 
1 cup butter (called for shortening) but I don't have this item in my home.
1&1/2 cups sugar
cream together

2&1/2 cups flour
1&1/4 tsp. salt
sift together

2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1&1/2 tsp. vinegar
mix together

1 ounce red food coloring
1&1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
mix together

Add them altogether in mixer.  Adding the food coloring mixture last.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  It says to use two round 10" pans.  You can use any pan.
I used a rectangular pan that would have been about the size of two rounds. 

I frosted it with a cream cheese frosting.  It was yummy.  We ate it for about 3 days and then it had to go
in the trash.  Cake just doesn't keep well after a few days with foil loosly wrapped around it.  Not to mention I'm just not walking enough yet to eat that much cake.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to try this recipe. I tried to make red velvet cupcakes this weekend and it was a big disappointment. They tasted AWFUL! Yours looks yummy! I wish I still lived next door at the Byrne's so I can come swipe a piece:-) Keep up the yummy baking and the good blogs:-)
    -Candice Obilana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my first red velvet cake from scratch in January for a friends birthday (red is her favorite color) and then made red velvet cake balls (both of course with home made cream cheese frosting)... YUM! Then for Valentine's Day I made red velvet whoopie pies. Yum again! I just wish it didn't call for quite so much red food coloring. A bit much I think. Other than that it was delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete