Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cake # 2

Some times you just have to make a cake when you feel that cake baking urge come on you.  If you resist the urge it may leave you and then you would be left cakeless.  And that is just sad and un-American.
So this morning when that great and wonderful feeling came upon me I listened to its cry and baked a most delicious and moist cake for breakfast.  We all waited with great anticipation and rumbling tummys for over an hour to eat this yummy creation.  And let me tell you, it was worth it.  Also, being that I was technically a cake behind, I am all caught up now.

happy children exchanging kisses after eating cake
I have to thank my dear friend Katie for this recipe.  And instead of posting the recipe here you can find it on her blog.  riddlelove    It is called Apple spice cake.  I have to admit I slightly defiled her healthier version.  So sorry Katie. But not by choice but by what was in the cupboard.  And having had her cake and mine I can say there was not much difference.  Just some health benefits missing from mine.  But that's ok. :)  It was still mostly organic and somewhat healthy.  For example, the recipe calls for 1&1/2 cups coconut oil and I did not have any.  So I used one cup olive oil and half a cup butter.  I did not have rapadura so I used organic sugar.  I did not have any spelt flour left so I used regular flour.  And in the glaze topping I used brown sugar instead of turbinado sugar.  That's the beauty of baking and cooking.  If you do it often enough you kind of figure out what will work and not work.  Usually in baking you need to be pretty spot on but in this case my substitutions worked great and I only have a bit of cake left to prove it.   I baked my cake in a bundt cake pan or jelly roll pan.  Oven was 325 and it took about and hour and 10 minutes.  I just kept checking it in the end there to make sure it was done but not over done.  It was perfect.  I waited a few minutes only and then carefully removed it from the pan and placed it on a cake stand.  I then put on some of the nuts  and glaze and went back and forth ending it with the last of the glaze.  This made the nuts stay on and also covered them nicely in the warm glaze.  I served it immediately.  There is nothing quite like hot apple spice cake for breakfast.  Glory!  My taste buds sang out.  My children asked for more and what can I say, we all ate more.  

Sit ups are definitely on the to do list today.  Maybe even a trip or two down and up the stairs.  But all in all this really is a pretty healthy cake to bake.  Especially if you stick to Katie's original recipe.  It is a guilt free indulgence.   And who really cares anyway,  It is just so good. 

3 comments: