Monday, January 17, 2011

Cake # 3 Carrot cake

It's nearly 9:00 pm so my brain is already starting to shut down for the night.  Just warning you so that
if this post ends up really random that could be why.   I have just completed cake 3.  I cleaned and cleaned all the live long day and got to the end of it and knew that a cake must be made.  I had been looking through
my cook book through out the week and took a few votes here and there but no member of my family could agree on anything so I made an executive decision and went with carrot cake.  It sounded like a healthier sort of choice after the past week of cake feasting.  Amanda had suggested it also and I liked the idea.  And you know I have to say it was not a super duper make you sick kind of sweet cake like some can be.
The texture was moist but kind of bread like and a  little bit dense but very nice.  I put the cream cheese frosting on it but honestly it would have been really good with out it as well.  You could even eat it for breakfast and not feel bad.
In some ways it was a lot like the apple spice cake but with carrots instead of apples.
This was  a recipe I had not ever made before and I would make it again.  And of course the kids gobbled it down even though it was 8:30 at night and a good mother should probably not let her children eat cake right before bed time but they had been eagerly waiting all day long for this cake so what was I to do.  And I needed a tasting panel to tell me if it was any good.  So cut me some slack.  Geesh!

Here is the recipe.   350* oven. Bake for 1hr & 10 minutes  Do not over cook.
grease and flour a 9" spring form pan  (you could just use any pan I'm sure)

5 eggs
2 sticks butter softened    
2 tsp vanilla
cream the above together
then add the rest of the ingredients                      
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
1 cup walnuts   Half for the batter and half for garnish
I forgot the nuts on accident and it was good.  But I did add them to the top later.

Cream cheese frosting
1  8oz. package of cream cheese
1 stick of butter softened
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powder sugar

So that's that.  Cake #3 completed.  Look at me go.  I tell ya this year is just going to fly by.  Before I know it I will be at cake 52 and setting up Christmas decorations again.  Or taking them down.  So being that time really does go so fast don't forget to stop and bake a cake and then take a moment or two to sit down and enjoy it for goodness sake.  And let the kids eat it too.  Even if it is late at night.  You only live once.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! haha - such a great idea! I wish I had thought of it :) I may copy your idea, just not blog about it cuz two people blogging about their weekly cakes would just be redundant :) And I love that I can take a weekly peek into your life. So fun. thanks for sharing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired us to bake a cake this weekend...a Martin Luther King Jr birthday cake. Annie made it ALL BY HERSELF and it was a checkerboard cake on the inside.

    I have WONDERFUL version of a carrot cake that I have used that I never have been able to top...so, if you are looking for some good recipe ideas, let me know : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of pineapple upside-down cake this week... Yum!

    ReplyDelete