Sunday, March 6, 2011

Coffee cake kind of morning (9)

I did make a cake this week I promise.  I actually made two but I'll just tell you about one.   I woke up Wednesday morning thinking I better make my cake today the week is going fast.  Here it is already Sunday and I'm just now getting to blog.  I really need to work on priorities in my life.  After all, cake should be high up on the list don't you think? I did work on resting better this week.  I challenged two friends to do the same.  Last Sunday I asked them to purposely try to rest each day.  Sometimes we moms are not so good at taking care of ourselves.  So Monday I shopped in a cute store all by myself for a whole 45 minutes.  This is considered rest because it was fun, happy and made me feel alive.  I know that must sound terribly shallow.  But we said we would consider it restful if it was anything like that or anything that brings life to you some how.  Well shopping alone in a clothing store does the trick for me.  I think on Tuesday I failed at resting all together at any point in the day.  It's kind of all a blur now.  I pretty much live one day at time and when the next one comes I forget about the one before.  Is that bad?  I think I did have a couple more restful moments in the week but they were brief and obviously not too memorable.  This week I will try to do better.  I may just shut myself in a closet now and then.  Or I can do like Wednesday and not get dressed all day.  Please tell me some of you have those days too.  Actually I know you do because I know who reads this. :) That is why you're my friend.  Karen came over Wednesday and  I hadn't even brushed my teeth.  And she stayed and we even cooked and baked. 
So if your anything like a typical wife, mother or woman, you need to take better care of yourself and rest.  It will look different for all of us.  For some of you it's eating lots and lots of chocolate fondue.  But I won't mention who does that.  Or for others of us it might be watching a total tree hugging, life/health/food sort of movie all by your self.  But again, I won't tell who does that.  For me it was 45 minutes of blissful shopping alone.
I'm done with my tangent, now back to coffee cake.  Did I tell you already how happy it was.  Well it was.  And it wasn't even terribly bad for you.  I used only good ingredients.  Good as in organic coconut oil, organic spelt, and organic raw sugar and rapadura. 
So here it is.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil an 8x11 inch pan

3/4 cup organic coconut oil (very soft/melted)
1&1/2 cup sugar (organic, unrefined, unbleached, whole cane)
3 cups organic spelt flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1&1/4 cup milk
1 apple diced very small (I used a food chopper and went to town) Or you could shred or grate them.
The apple adds extra flavor and moisture. 
3 egg whites,  beaten until stiff.  Add these after all the above are mixed.
I literally dump it all in my kitchen aid, mix it up a bit and then add the egg whites.
I really think the egg whites make a big difference in this cake. 
Topping:
1 stick butter melted (yes, I used butter)
1/2 cup flour (I used spelt)
1 cup organic brown sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 cup pecans or walnuts
A dash of nutmeg and allspice
Drop little spoonfuls all over the top until spread out evenly
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.  Voila. Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I take full credit for being the tree-hugger! This recipe looks delicious. You are amazing and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!I want to take a big bite :)
    Amen for alone blissful shoppin!

    ReplyDelete